George Pinner built most of the stone fireplace through the Mount Hood corridor during the 1920’s and 1930’s, many for Henry Steiner’s cabins. He was known for his shaped arched facing of solid stone and his use of convex mortar coving. George Pinner didn’t use round river run but, instead, would split and shape the stones to fit together, typically with a keystone in the center of the arch. George Pinner also carved the stone curbing for the White House in Washington DC.
George Pinner lived in the little settlement of Faubion situated between the towns of Zigzag and Rhododendron. He built his home out of solid stone. His home is still there and is located on what is now Faubion Loop Road.
Whimpy’s Little Toot Drive In, Kelso Oregon was located across the street from the Kelso Store when today’s Orient Drive was the highway to Mount Hood. It was owned and operated by Clarence “Whimpy” Eri. Once the modern Highway 26 was built, in the mid 1960’s, it bypassed the old route to Mount Hood and many small businesses such as this had to close their doors.
Kelso Oregon is located just west of the town of Sandy between Sandy and Boring.